Have You Hit a Weight Loss Plateau
It’s hard to comprehend that for weeks your weight loss program is steaming ahead, the pounds are melting away, and then you come to a screeching halt. The scales won’t budge another ounce. Take heart. Your weight loss plateau is perfectly normal.
5 Easy and Effective Weight Loss Plateau-Busting Strategies To Try Now:
1. Visualize your Success! It has been proven that people who can visualize and see their success have a much greater chance of achieving it. Close your eyes and see yourself fitting into your skinny jeans. It’s fun and it works.
2. Record your food intake. Often, you may think you’re following a program, but you’re not. I call it “forgotten calorie syndrome”. You’re made accountable for what you eat by writing it down. Reality will look you in the eye.
3. Make sure you eat a protein-rich breakfast. Protein in the morning is key to revving up your metabolism and getting your day off to the right start.
4. Is sugar or alcohol in your system? Sugar (including fruits) or alcohol will stop fat metabolism as they raise insulin levels which will cause you to stop burning fat.
5. Are you drinking enough water? Lack of water will stop fat burning just as quickly as sugar, so drink your water, faithfully.
Weight loss plateaus, stalling & re-starting, its all to be expected as shown in these charts, below:
Everyone wants to lose weight in a linear fashion and keep it off-as seen in the graph to the left. This rarely ever happens. Most successful people lose in spurts; losing, re-gaining a bit, then restarting-as seen in the graph to the right.
The key is to accept this natural rhythm, set a stop point for yourself, and get back on the program any time you find yourself moving away from your goal. Weigh yourself each week and pay attention to what your body is telling you.
To your health,
Medical Director, Smart for Life® Weight Management Centers
P.S. Hitting a weight loss plateau is normal and manageable. Don’t give up!