Greek Stuffed Eggplant-Ground turkey or chicken sautéed with garlic, onion, eggplant, tomato and mint, then baked and served in the eggplant shell
1. Cut the eggplant lengthwise and score the pulp deeply with a sharp knife being careful not to pierce the skin.
2. Scoop out the pulp, set aside.
3. Drain the eggplant ‘shells’ on paper towel.
4. Meanwhile, cut the eggplant pulp into 1 inch pieces; drain on paper towel as well.
5. Pat the eggplant shells dry with paper towel and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
6. Place on broiler rack with the skin side down approximately 4 inches from the heat source.
7. Broil for approximately 5 minutes.
8. Coat a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray.
9. Sauté onion and garlic until translucent, add a small amount of water if necessary.
10. Add ground turkey or chicken and diced eggplant until eggplant is tender and ground meat is cooked.
11. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in tomatoes, parsley, mint and pepper.
12. Stuff the eggplant shells with the mixture and place into a baking dish.
13. Return to the broiler for 5 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and golden.